• Why Organic is Better

    You may sometimes wonder if organic products are actually better than non-organic products. Organic means that the food is grown without chemicals, such as fertilizers, pesticides, fungicides, or herbicides. It already sounds better, right? For more information, check out the list of benefits below to see why organic is better.

    Don’t miss the Why Organic is Better Infographic below the article!

    Why Organic is BetterWhy Organic is Better Image

    Risk of chemical contamination – The majority of crops grown in the United States are applied with pesticides, fertilizers, herbicides, and fungicides. Therefore, toxic chemicals can be found on your fruit and vegetables. The Environmental Protection Agency states that 60% of herbicides, 90% of fungicides, and 30% of insecticides are carcinogenic. Furthermore, the chemicals used on crops are contaminating our water sources. Princeton University affirms that the drinking water of over 14 million Americans has been affected by chemical residues. This is the main reason why organic is better.

    Environmental Benefits – The chemicals used on food do not only affect human health, they also affect the environment as well. According to Princeton University, only 1% of pesticides used on crops actually work on the pests they target. The other 99% of the chemicals escape into the environment. This leads to soil contamination and groundwater changes that put wildlife in danger. In addition, Princeton University states that the pesticides used on common crops such as fruit, corn, cotton, soybeans, and tobacco are extremely toxic to birds, mammals, and fish. Many animals are now endangered after ingesting the toxics from crops. Growing crops organically stops these risks to our environment and wildlife and provides healthier and more natural crops. Organic agriculture uses methods such as crop rotation, natural soil enrichment, and pest predators, which are clear answers to why organic is better.

    Taste While taste is subjective, surveys show that people prefer the taste of organic products versus non-organic products.

    Make sure your herb garden is organic, so you can enjoy the health benefits that can only come with organic gardening practices. Check out the Gardening e-book bundle below to get you started!

    Gardening Ebooks

    Sources:

    http://www.princeton.edu/greening/organic4.htm

    Photo courtesy of rakratchada torsap, freedigitalphotos.net

    Why Organic is Better Infographic

so far.

  1. […] Yesterday we answered the question: Why Grow Organically? Now that you know why, you also need to know how to grow herbs organically. Although it is easy to use synthetic fertilizers and pesticides in your garden, these harmful chemicals have detrimental effects on the environment, your health, and the taste of your herbs. Learn more here: Why Organic is Better […]

  2. […] Health – The term organic means that the product is free from toxic chemicals, such as fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides. If your herbs are not washed properly, the chemicals can enter your body. In addition, Kat Yares in the article “Five Benefits of Growing an Organic Garden” explains that organic foods have higher vitamin and mineral content than those grown with chemicals. If you are using your herbs in your culinary dishes or herbal products, you do not want to risk plaguing them with harmful chemicals. Grow your herbs organically to ensure that you and your family’s herbs are healthy and safe. Learn more here: Why Organic is Better […]

Leave a Reply

FREE SHIPPING on $25 Orders! Dismiss

%d bloggers like this: