Natural remedies have been around since the beginning of time, and most cultures still turn to them as their main means of healthcare. The United States, however, has only recently seen an increase in use after a long period of turning away from them. We are finally beginning to look back to what nature provided us with and the wisdom and power it holds, instead of trusting only in our own ability to create synthetic drugs.
Conventional Medicine Vs. Natural Remedies
More and more, people are turning to natural remedies for their ailments. Why? While traditional medicine has its place and should certainly not be overlooked or ignored completely, it does have its downside.
According to an extensive report printed in Life Extension Magazine in March, 2004, conventional medicine is now the #1 cause of death! (Source: http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2004/mar2004_awsi_death_01.htm). The side effects of conventional medicine are astounding to say the least. I’m sure you’ve seen the commercials that promote new pharmaceutical drugs, and there is always a huge list of side effects listed at the end of the commercial. One problem may be alleviated with the drug, but a number of other issues are brought to the table.
Conversely, the U.S. National Poison Data System put out a 174-page report in 2010 stating that the number of Americans killed in 2009 by vitamins, minerals, amino acids or herbal supplements is zero! (Source: http://www.naturalnews.com/027993_vitamins_nutritional_supplements.html) I think that says it all!
Alternative Medicine E-Book Bundle
This new bundle includes 26 E-books about Alternative Medicine! Learn about topics such as: holistic medicine, alternative medicine, addiction, natural cures for acid reflux, back pain and arthritis, biofeedback, Chinese medicine, chi, crystal healing, cupping, ear candling, aromatherapy, gua sha therapy, hologram therapy, magnetic therapy, massage, Native American healing, herbal cures, pilates, polarity therapy, self healing, therapeutic touch, vibrational therapy, and the benefits of vinegar. Learn More About This Bundle Here!
Pharmaceutical companies make over $100 billion each year selling drugs in the US, and it seems clear that drug manufacturers are more concerned with making money than considering the overall effects the medicine will have on the patient. Pharmaceutical reps, who have no medical training, are coached to provide incentives and gifts to doctors who prescribe their medications.
“Another shocking fact that few consider is that virtually every major pharmaceutical company has a corresponding branch that creates the toxins and poisons that contribute to the chronic diseases their drugs and medical devices treat. So these huge transnational companies profit not only from the sale of products such as pesticides, herbicides and GM crops, but also from the symptoms and chronic illnesses that they can trigger.” (Source: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/04/19/shocking-facts-about-the-pharmaceutical-industry.aspx)
What most people don’t realize is that more than 25% of all prescription drugs contain plant derivatives, and over 80,000 different types of plants are used all over the world for medicinal purposes. The pharmaceutical companies are starting to realize that the cures are available to us simply from our own earth, so they are beginning to add them to their drugs. Hopefully the percentage of plant derivatives will increase considerably over the next several years. Luckily, the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine is now funding clinical trials to help improve the understanding of herbal medicine in the medical world.
Do you ever wonder where prescription drugs and medications come from? The truth is that every drug available today once derived from natural substances. This only changed when chemical synthesis led to rapid drug production, meaning more people could be treated quickly and that pharmaceutical companies could get very rich. This chemical synthesis turned out to be bad because pharmaceutical companies now refuse to acknowledge their roots in nature. It’s also important to point out that the manufactured equivalent of the original herbal product requires more processing by the body and leaves behind toxins in the body.
The Benefits of Natural Remedies:
- Natural cures actually have to power to heal and prevent. By using natural remedies, such as medicinal herbs and other alternative methods, you are allowing your body the opportunity to heal itself. Natural remedies have an emphasis on prevention and curing disease, rather than merely putting a band aid on the problem and making the patient reliant on strong drugs for the rest of their lives.
- Typically, herbal remedies have almost no side effects. (It is important to note here that just like someone can have an allergic reaction to peanuts or strawberries, a person can certainly have side effects and allergic reactions to herbal remedies. Typically, these side effects, however, are minimal to nonexistent, especially when compared to the side effects and reactions people have to conventional medicine. Usually when these problems occur from herbal medicine, it is due to improper dosage and impurities. Another danger is taking an herbal remedy alongside conventional drugs that perform the same task, because this can lead to an overdose.)
- Most can be easily created in your own home from simple household ingredients or gardens. On our Herbal Products page, you will find more information about how to create your own home remedies.
- They are typically cheaper. By growing your own herbs and creating your own products, you can save a ton of money that you would typically spend on drugs.
- You can feel good about what you are putting in your body. In my opinion, this is the best benefit. I don’t know about you, but putting foreign chemicals that are proven to host a slew of side effects into my body isn’t high on my list. I’d much rather go with the solutions our wise ancestors used that came from what was provided for us naturally on this earth. (Did you know that where poison ivy grows, you will also find its antidote growing right alongside it? Clearly nature has given us what we need right here naturally.)