Instead of buying expensive lotion at the store that may contain unknown ingredients, why not try a natural alternative? Making your own herbal products is easy, fast, and saves you money. Keep reading to learn how to make your own herbal lotion using two different natural lotion recipes.
Don’t miss the How to Make Herbal Lotion Infographic below the article!
How to Make Herbal Lotion Recipe #1:
- ½ cup herbal oil (such as almond oil, grape seed oil, apricot kernel oil, jojoba, olive oil, or sunflower oil)
- 2 tablespoons shaved beeswax
- 1/3 cup pure, distilled water
- 2-4 drops essential oil (optional)
This set of directions was retrieved from examiner.com, and requires a double boiler.
- Put the herbal oil and beeswax in the top of the double boiler until the beeswax is melted.
- Put the mixture in a blender
- Add the distilled water a little at a time until it blends and reaches the consistency you prefer
- Add drops of essential oil one-by-one until it reaches the amount of fragrance you prefer
- Now you have your own herbal lotion!
How to Make Herbal Lotion Recipe #2:
This set of directions does not require a double boiler, and it provided by wellnessmama.com.
- 1/2 cup almond or olive oil
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup beeswax
- Optional: 1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil
- Optional: 2 tablespoons shea butter or cocoa butter
- Optional: Essential oils
- Combine ingredients in a jar (pint-sized or larger)
- Fill a medium saucepan with 2 inches of water and place on medium heat
- Put a lid on the jar loosely and place in the saucepan with the water
- As the water heats, the ingredients will start to melt
- Shake or stir occasionally
- When the ingredients are fully melted, your lotion is ready!
Want to make your own herbal products but you don’t know where to buy the ingredients? Mountain Rose Herbs is our favorite resource for herbal product supplies!
Photo courtesy of John Kasawa, freedigitalphotos.net
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!